[LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Thu Feb 24 00:33:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 19:11 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 5:58 PM, Gordon JC Pearce <gordonjcp at gjcp.net> wrote:
>
> > There is no way in hell I'm going near the utterly fundamentally
> > retarded mess of shit and fail that is Ardour 3.
>
> gordon, we love you too. honest.

Oh, that reminds me, it's just about donation time again, isn't it?

> > It's a DAW.  It shouldn't have *any* MIDI beyond control automation and
> > some idea of sync.  Leave that to a sequencer.
>
> its wierd how the overwhelming majority of folks out there in the
> world don't seem to feel that this distinction is relevant to their
> working style, and even more, whenever anybody does bring out a cool
> new sequencer (e.g. nodal, or some of the hex- or octagonal sequencers
> that have appeared recently) everyone starts wondering about how it
> can be integrated into <theirDAW>.

What happened to the idea of doing one thing, and doing it well?  I'm
not even totally sold on the idea of having the recorder and mixer in
the same app...

To that end, why has no-one managed to produce a PC (by which I mean the
general case of modern personal computer, not x86/PCI cards/beige box
PC) sequencer that doesn't suck overweight elephants through extremely
fine mesh?  Cubase 3 on the Atari was simple, intuitive (well, apart
from the Interactive Phrase Synthesizer, I never met anyone that could
figure that out except for one guy from Orkney who lived in a house full
of cats and ate only yoghurt and green tea) and reliable.  Surely it
cannot be beyond the wit of man to come up with something as good as
20-year-old software on hardware a million times as fast?

Gordon MM0YEQ