[LAD] [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 00:55:01 UTC 2011

On 2/24/11, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:

> It's a DAW.  It shouldn't have *any* MIDI beyond control automation and
> some idea of sync.  Leave that to a sequencer.

I think I know your next argument: we don't need virtual instruments
as plug-ins, eh?  And while at that, let's dump lash/ladish crap
altogether. Session management is for n00bs, real musicians have sound
engineers to do it for them, so they can focus on actual music :)

(On reflection, it provides a new dimension to my recent little visual
joke about Dream Theater's approach to music:
http://prokoudine.info/files/dream-theater.png (says "What's the
rush?") Paul, how about visualization of little pixies doing JACK
transport or pitch-shifting in A3? I know Gordon would love it :))

> Of course, there are no *usable* PC-based sequencers, so after gathering
> dust for some ten years my 1/4" tape machine and Alesis MMT-8 are having
> all the fun, and the PC just sits with pidgin, evolution and an ssh
> session to my IRC client.

Gordon, there's no shame admitting you make a good use of hardware for
making music. We all did it, honestly. Some of us still do. Hardware
is joy to use.

> Linux audio is nowhere.  There isn't a usable sample editor, there are a

"Sample editor" as in "Swami" or "gigedit"? I wouldn't mind see them
merged, actually.

> It's 2011.  I've been at this for a decade.  It's just as bad as it was
> when I started trying to use PCs for music.  I give up.

Giving up is easy. Patching A3 to remove offensive MIDI tracks so that
the sight of the word "MIDI" in few parts of UI doesn't give the
willies is a real task for a real man. Be a man, Gordon, control your
software :)

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org