[LAD] RDF libraries, was Re: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Fri Feb 25 23:17:37 UTC 2011

On 25 Feb 2011 18:34, "David Robillard" <d at drobilla.net> wrote:

> I switched Serd and Sord to 2-clause BSD. Enjoy.

Thanks! I hope to.

> The license header is
> bigger and uglier and has a bunch of lawyer boiler-plate yelling in it,
> which I am not aesthetically please with at all... :)

I've always rather liked the look of the BSD boilerplate.

> This made me notice something though: lv2.h itself is LGPL (inherited
> from ladspa.h). So, if you're implementing an LV2 host there's
> inherently LGPL involved anyway.

For me that's OK, an LV2 implementation would be of rather different purpose
from a general store implementation.  Though I can imagine others finding it
difficult -- I've noticed some confusion about what exactly the LGPL means
for use of the LADSPA header in the past.

> I am fully on the pro-GPL card-carrying FSF member team

I can see many cases for GPL libraries and BSD libraries, but I've not so
often been convinced by the use of the LGPL.

Chris