[LAD] [LAU] OpenOctaveMidi2 (OOM2) beta release

Christopher Cherrett ccherrett at openoctave.org
Thu Jan 27 20:48:01 UTC 2011

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: [LAU] [LAD] OpenOctaveMidi2 (OOM2) beta release
From: Chris Cannam <cannam at all-day-breakfast.com>
To: Christopher Cherrett <ccherrett at openoctave.org>
Cc: Orcan Ogetbil <oget.fedora at gmail.com>, LAU Mail List
<linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org>, Linux Audio Developers
<Linux-audio-dev at lists.linuxaudio.org>
Date: 01/27/2011 01:35 PM
> On 27 January 2011 19:38, Christopher Cherrett<ccherrett at openoctave.org>  wrote:
>> I suspect there is much more to this puzzle than attribution.
> No, really not.  Attribution is incredibly important to many open
> source developers, partly because there are so few tangible benefits
> involved with open source work, and partly because the force of the
> licenses we use (particularly the GPL) depends on being confident
> about the ownership of copyright.  It matters a great deal to people
> if you take someone's work and represent it as your own.
>
> And it's a pity, because a situation like this or the earlier
> Rosegarden fork ought to be beneficial to everybody.  With Rosegarden,
> your project's focus was different from that of any of our core
> developers and, although we like to keep people happy, we really
> weren't able to spend the time to do the things you wanted.  Forking
> ensured that people who liked things "your way" had somewhere else to
> go, which made things better for them and simpler for us.
>
> In light of that, it's a great shame that the resulting new project
> should then give us such a sour impression -- and the same thing is
> true again here.  Your casual attitude to other people's work means
> that I and probably many others would avoid working with you again,
> but that negative feeling could have been avoided with such a tiny
> amount of thought and even less work.
>

> Chris
I could not care less if we slapped your name all over the new code we
write. I do not have any of the same concerns you have.

Want the code? I will sign over every line of code I wrote to you. I
care nothing for the code, only what it can do.

You would not fit into our camp well. We move too fast for most people.

Thanks!

--
Christopher Cherrett
ccherrett at openoctave.org