[LAD] What if a fork is not a fork?

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 17:54:22 UTC 2011

On 1/29/11, Raymond Martin wrote:

> I have forked other projects before and tried to cooperate, follow licenses,
> only to have those projects act very territorial and not in the proper
> spirit of FOSS.
>
> Just fork anyway you like. It is best not to even bother letting the other
> project know what you are doing, it is not their business since they have
> freely chosen to go the FOSS way. Any complaining after the fact is just
> childish and stupid.

What you are saying boils down to "people had been dicks on me, so
I'll be a dick on everybody else in return". Talk about childish :)

This battle has a long history. It's called "what can I get away
with?" :) Trust me: there's little to be proud of there. Talking about
spirit of FOSS and then neglecting socially correct behaviour is
really bs. Because FOSS would be nowhere if everybody acted like you.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org