[LAD] What if a fork is not a fork?

Raymond Martin laseray at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 18:22:42 UTC 2011

On January 29, 2011 12:54:22 pm Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 1/29/11, Raymond Martin wrote:
> > I have forked other projects before and tried to cooperate, follow
> > licenses, only to have those projects act very territorial and not in
> > the proper spirit of FOSS.
> >
> > Just fork anyway you like. It is best not to even bother letting the
> > other project know what you are doing, it is not their business since
> > they have freely chosen to go the FOSS way. Any complaining after the
> > fact is just childish and stupid.
>
> What you are saying boils down to "people had been dicks on me, so
> I'll be a dick on everybody else in return". Talk about childish :)

Absolutely wrong. It is just a fact that you do not owe anything and are not
required to do anything besides adhere to the license. It is just a waste of
time to bother going through trying to be nice when so many people (like you
perhaps) react the wrong way. Just do what you want with the software and
forget all that childish crap.

> This battle has a long history. It's called "what can I get away
> with?" :) Trust me: there's little to be proud of there. Talking about
> spirit of FOSS and then neglecting socially correct behaviour is
> really bs. Because FOSS would be nowhere if everybody acted like you.

There is no socially correct behavior in FOSS aside from adhering to the
license. You, along with others, are just imagining there is.

FOSS is everywhere by people acting like me. Not every company or developer
that uses FOSS goes out of there way to thank the originators. They don't have
to. Yet at some point they contribute their work that may be built on previous
work. That is the thanks. So get a clue now and try to think beyond your ego.