[LAD] Feature requests: add JackSession support

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 21:02:27 UTC 2011

On 07/02/2011 10:40 PM, m.wolkstein at gmx.de wrote:
> Am Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:03:05 +0200
> schrieb rosea grammostola<rosea.grammostola at gmail.com>:
>
> huhu,
> i currently finished a simple hydrogen implementation.
> callback with:
> save session(save the current song file)
> save and exit(save and quit hydrogen)
>
> so far so good.
Thanks a lot! I am surprised how fast devs are picking this up. Phasex,
Hydrogen, Rakarrack ... great work already :)

Next thing what would be good to have imo is a good software mixer with
JackSession support. Unfortunately non-mixer is not a good candidate
afaik, cause it changes port names. I don't know if Fons is still busy
with his mixer and if he has explored and made up his mind about the
actual implementation of the JackSession API already. Otherwise Jack
Audio Mixer might be a good candidate maybe: http://home.gna.org/jackmixer/
> but i didn't agree to save the application data into the jack-session folder!
> imo, this is dangerous because you can lost all data very quick. mainly if you overwrite
> a session. also people like me, which plays often improvised music-sessions, will
> create tons of sessions folders with duplicated data.
>
> that's why i prefer the h2 implementation with absolute filenames. so currently h2 don't
> use the ${SESSION_DIR} prefix to store the song files.
Qjackctl 0.3.8 has the possibility to use 'versioning', it makes backups
of the old folder when you overwrite it.
I wonder how much space those folders take in general and if that space
is really a problem normally.

Would be good if Torben (and/ or Rui) could comment on this.
> checkout hydrogen trunk to get it.
> if jack/session.h is available on your system, hydrogen compile by default with jack
> session support.

Regards,

\r