[LAD] Feature requests: add JackSession support

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sat Jul 2 22:27:34 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 11:02:27PM +0200, rosea grammostola wrote:

> Next thing what would be good to have imo is a good software mixer with
> JackSession support. Unfortunately non-mixer is not a good candidate
> afaik, cause it changes port names. I don't know if Fons is still busy
> with his mixer and if he has explored and made up his mind about the
> actual implementation of the JackSession API already.

Fons has been quite busy moving home the last weeks (not far,
south of Parma to north of Parma, but it's the same exercise
independent of distance anyway).

As to the mixer, yes I'm still working on it. A lot of thinking
has gone into the design, and some aspects of it may turn out
to be surprising as they break with Linux Audio traditions.

One of them is external connections. The mixer will be able to
use Jack of course, but does not require it. When using Jack, it
will have a configurable number of inputs and outputs which have
fixed names, just input-%d or output-%d. Any one of these can be
patched internally to any channel, group, insert, send, or whatever
that makes sense. The idea behind this is that Jack connections
are fixed, and any session dependent wiring is done internally.

A second one is the plugin system wich will be specific to this
application. I will not even support LADSPA. If anyone wants to
use his/her favourite plugin with this mixer, just convince me
to port it - the criterion will be the quality of the plugin -
or do it yourself.

As to Jack Session support, I won't even consider it as long
as it doesn't support quit-without-save. The rationale for not
supporting this is IMNSHO completely bogus. I just can't imagine
any app that a) can't do this, and b) can't be modified easily
to do it. 'Easily' here means requiring a fraction of the effort
to support Jack Session at all. I've got some other gripes with
Jack Session as well, but these have been discussed (or at least
presented) before.

Ciao,

--
FA