[LAD] Feature requests: add JackSession support

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 09:53:29 UTC 2011

On 07/03/2011 12:27 AM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 11:02:27PM +0200, rosea grammostola wrote:
>
>> Next thing what would be good to have imo is a good software mixer with
>> JackSession support. Unfortunately non-mixer is not a good candidate
>> afaik, cause it changes port names. I don't know if Fons is still busy
>> with his mixer and if he has explored and made up his mind about the
>> actual implementation of the JackSession API already.
> Fons has been quite busy moving home the last weeks (not far,
> south of Parma to north of Parma, but it's the same exercise
> independent of distance anyway).
Good luck with that.
> As to the mixer, yes I'm still working on it. A lot of thinking
> has gone into the design, and some aspects of it may turn out
> to be surprising as they break with Linux Audio traditions.
>
> One of them is external connections. The mixer will be able to
> use Jack of course, but does not require it. When using Jack, it
> will have a configurable number of inputs and outputs which have
> fixed names, just input-%d or output-%d. Any one of these can be
> patched internally to any channel, group, insert, send, or whatever
> that makes sense. The idea behind this is that Jack connections
> are fixed, and any session dependent wiring is done internally.
>
> A second one is the plugin system wich will be specific to this
> application. I will not even support LADSPA. If anyone wants to
> use his/her favourite plugin with this mixer, just convince me
> to port it - the criterion will be the quality of the plugin -
> or do it yourself.
Interesting for sure...
One feature request already then. Could you please port the plugins of
Mr Adriaensen? They are pretty good normally. ;)
> As to Jack Session support, I won't even consider it as long
> as it doesn't support quit-without-save. The rationale for not
> supporting this is IMNSHO completely bogus. I just can't imagine
> any app that a) can't do this, and b) can't be modified easily
> to do it. 'Easily' here means requiring a fraction of the effort
> to support Jack Session at all. I've got some other gripes with
> Jack Session as well, but these have been discussed (or at least
> presented) before.
I did some quick testing with some apps with JS support, and it seems to
work quite well. Alas.. to make a Session Manager a success you might
need some compromises and collaboration. But I do agree with you about
the quit-without-save option. I have reported this already (so did
Adrian Knoth). Torben thought that such a option might cause unwanted
loosing data, but a message by the Session Manager with something like
'are you sure you want to quit without saving' should be sufficient I
think. As far as I understood it wasn't impossible or a lot of work to
implement this in the Session Manager.

Regards,
\r