[LAD] Feature requests: add JackSession support

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 09:58:18 UTC 2011

On 07/03/2011 02:19 AM, m.wolkstein at gmx.de wrote:

>> Next thing what would be good to have imo is a good software mixer with
>> JackSession support. Unfortunately non-mixer is not a good candidate
>> afaik, cause it changes port names. I don't know if Fons is still busy
>> with his mixer and if he has explored and made up his mind about the
>> actual implementation of the JackSession API already. Otherwise Jack
>> Audio Mixer might be a good candidate maybe: http://home.gna.org/jackmixer/
> yes the mixer is the heart of all. and jackmixer is one of the best i ever use
> beside the buildin ardour mixer. cant wait for jack session support on it.

Next to a software mixer, LinuxSampler should work with JackSession
support. I am not sure if it's possible to patch LinuxSampler or we have
to use it as a client without a state (infra client).

> a global jack session support sound's like a dream. jack session support is IMO the KEY
> or the next step to make music under linux much more attractive, productive and at least
> more creative. one of the main problems is the long time you need to start your lovely
> linux audio-system, make connections and try to remember how you can restore the set from
> your last cool session and so on. at least i often give up to create music, because the
> idea is gone after all this more or less unlikely administrative work.
> beside this, sometimes if everything worked as expected and you currently make really
> cool music, you become mournful while you are playing. why? because you now it is mostly
> not possible to reconstruct the current session to continue this creative process and his
> product(nice music). the super-GAU is when you make dozens of connections and your mixer
> stop working, and you directly return to your starting point.
> ok, this is all off-topic and for sure discussed hundreds of times. but i am often
> frustrated to use linux-audio applications because the eat my time without a creative
> output. since ~10 years, i only don't give up try working creative with linux-audio
> applications, because my big pighead and my unbreakable hope.
Yes, would be really great if JackSession will adopted in the world of
Linuxaudio in a good and broad way. So far so good! :)

Regards,
\r