[LAD] Feature requests: add JackSession support

Robin Gareus robin at linuxaudio.org
Sun Jul 3 12:51:36 UTC 2011

On 07/03/2011 02:10 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 7:43 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
>> JSM is one of them, it's a mess
>> even in its initial form.
>
> its important to point out that this is a criticism that could be
> levelled at JACK too.
>
> your analysis was thoughtful and sensible. as it turned out, neither
> torben nor I agreed with it. as it stands, the JACK Session API is a
> minimal, barely intrusive addition that gets done 90%+ of what the
> users of JACK wanted/needed. the design goals behind JACK have always
> included a strong aversion to going after the 100% solution because I
> and others have strong feelings about the infeasibility of it in
> general, mostly because of a profound awareness of the total SNAFUs
> that seem to happen everytime somebody tries this in software. so no,
> it doesn't do everything possible, or everything desirable, or
> everything perfectly, but it does do most of what people actually
> need, without having much impact on developers' own internal
> architecture.
>
> the lack of quit-without-save is a decision that i was opposed to, but
> accepted precisely because it has the potential to interfere with
> developer's internal architecture. most applications these days ask if
> you attempt to quit without saving (some will even treat the window
> manager close button as a trigger for this). quit-without-save
> (potentially) requires a new code path that circumvents whatever
> internal logic the program has to decide whether to ask the user. its
> not a huge change, but it is a change that isn't merely additive (as
> is the case for the rest of the API).  in the interest of seeing
> something adopted that performs a useful role for users, it seemed
> better not to require supporting JACK Session to also require "your
> program must be able to quit without any user interaction".

Every program (on un*x) can be "quit w/o save" without requiring changes
to the program: just send it a `kill -9` :-))

It's not nice but should fit easily into the 90%+ pragmatic solution
package.

Alas, jackd may or may not bark (xrun) if a program is killed without
properly closing its jack connection; but that's acceptable in that case
(closing the session anyway).

just saying,
robin