[LAD] MeeGo for better handheld/tablet multimedia? (was Re: Android audio plugins)

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 14:48:23 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield
<gabrbedd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, July 03, 2011 04:40:22 am Thomas Vecchione wrote:
>> Just to clarify, the N9, and N950(The 'developer' device
>> that most of the existing community really wants over
>> the n9) isn't running Meego, but instead is running
>> Maemo Harmattan, which is primarily Maemo, with the
>> Meego development API implemented on top of it.  Could
>> make a difference in performance and support.
>
> Do we really need to carry this MeeGo/Harmattan FUD outside
> of the MeeGo community?  Yes, Harmattan is not a purist form
> of MeeGo... but the developer differences aren't all that
> great.

Actually it isn't FUD because it is true, and isn't meant to spread
fear uncertainty or doubt, just to explain that there is an actual
difference.  You are correct in that if you develop for the Meego API,
it shouldn't present to much difference, but it is something that must
be kept in mind in my opinion in case you do find a difference.

> Yes, this is an excellent reason to not get an N9.  It is
> the reason why I will not be getting an N9.
>
> It is not a reason to *NOT* develop for MeeGo.  Nokia
> doesn't own MeeGo and never has.  MeeGo is not dead, nor
> dying.

You seem to think I was suggesting it was.  I was responding directly
to the mailings suggesting the N9 itself, nothing more and nothing
less.

Personally I think there are far better reasons not to get an N9, but
to each there own.  I don't have much opinions on Meego itself in
general right now aside from there isn't really a good strong consumer
phone coming out that I know of that is scheduled to use it to my
knowledge, which makes me hesitant to spend to much time developing
for it personally, a shame as I suspect based off my experience with
Maemo that I would like it more. Yes LG supposedly  has some in the
workings, but I haven't heard much to make me believe they will be out
anytime soon at the least.

Once again I am not saying don't develop for it, that is a decision up
to each individual developer, just that it should be approached with
caution at this point IMO before to much time is spent on it.

    Seablade