[LAD] MeeGo for better handheld/tablet multimedia? (was Re: Android audio plugins)

Olivier Guilyardi list at samalyse.com
Mon Jul 4 13:44:28 UTC 2011

On 07/02/2011 10:46 PM, Niels Mayer wrote:
> Given all the needed Linux dependencies, and the difficulties of
> getting decent audio performance on Android, what about not using
> Android and using good ol' Linux instead?

A small note here. As noted by Jeff, the "Android penetration" is a serious
argument in its favor.

Now, Android has a somehow deficient internal audio stack, and it's sort of
big-brother'ized by Google..

Well, it's not the end of the story.

I am often amazed by the dynamism of the Android ROM community. Android is
largely open sourced and many developers work on custom ROMs as can be seen on
the XDA forums. Every day or so a new ROM or some other system fix pops up.

And it's not a marginal phenomenon. In the "Top paid apps", ROM Manager, an app
for easy ROM installation/switching, is #11, and IIRC it was #4 a few weeks ago.

What this means is that there are plenty of users who customize their system. I
know that's precisely why some of them got an Android device instead of an
iPhone/iPad.

What about audio? For example, Project Voodoo provides audio enhancements, such
as input level reduction which can be a problem when recording loud stuff:
http://project-voodoo.org/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=806195

And I wouldn't be surprised to see a ROM claiming to provide low latency audio
on a fair range of popular devices, in the coming weeks or months. A such
package could also include some popular Linux software.

Ok, it's a bit of a jungle... But it's about freedom too.

--
  Olivier