[LAD] MeeGo for better handheld/tablet multimedia? (was Re: Android audio plugins)

Gabriel M. Beddingfield gabrbedd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 15:23:36 UTC 2011

On Saturday, July 02, 2011 03:46:30 pm Niels Mayer wrote:
> Given all the needed Linux dependencies, and the
> difficulties of getting decent audio performance on
> Android, what about not using Android and using good ol'
> Linux instead?
>
> Specifically, MeeGo on the  Nokia N9 (

I would like to voice my opinion that developing Audio apps
for/on MeeGo is an excellent option.  The only problem
(today) is that there aren't very many MeeGo devices
shipping.  (To date it's mostly netbooks and tablets, but no
handhelds.)  This will change over time.

MeeGo is a Linux stack... here's the caveats:

  - There is no JACK, so you can't have a hard
    dependency on JACK.

  - You probably won't be able to get RT scheduling.

  - You must play nice with pulseaudio, and you should
    avoid using pasuspender as a workaround.  I recommend
    using "the safe alsa subset."

  - The "MeeGo API" (i.e. Qt and especially QtQuick) is
    the recommended API to use... but you can still dip
    into ALSA.  There's provisions for things like GTK+,
    but with limited cross-platform support.  No fltk or
    wxWidgets... and don't use Xlib if you can help it
    (it works, but doesn't work right).

  - There is not standard "desktop" environment in MeeGo.
    Vendors are expected to provide their own custom
    "user experience."  That's the reason why you want
    to stick with the "MeeGo API" -- so that you'll work
    on all these different devices.

-gabriel