[LAD] [ANN] jack-file 1.0

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 10:42:56 UTC 2011

On 5 July 2011 11:24, Dan Muresan <danmbox at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, and thanks for checking out my project.
>
>> 1) make fails when it can't find help2man. it then complains (twice)
>> file2jack isn't found either (an ls after the fact shows it is):
>
> Well, help2man is listed as a build dependency, and I don't think it's
> proper style to verify dependencies in the makefile. In ./configure,
> yes -- but I'm not using one.

Ok, I probably should have read them :-)

>> 2) floating point exception when command issued without options:
>
> That, indeed, is not nice. It happened because I left the arg parsing
> routine open till the last moment. Fixed in git.

Know the feeling :-)

> To tell the whole story, I was hoping eventually to make both
> file2jack and jacktransportloop infrastructure-apps that could be
> controlled via stdin. So file2jack could start with nothing, and
> accept commands to add/remove files to the transport timeline.

Sounds interesting.

> Plus there would be a tkJackTransport app that actually scrolls the
> timeline (unlike gjacktransport, which is unhelpful when the transport
> overshoots the display limit) and has a loop checkbox and two time
> entries. I couldn't fit this in the first release. If anybody wants to
> help...
>
> But otherwise -- did it work for you when you passed proper args?

Yes it worked.

Admittedly, I didn't quite get it at first because I'd only really
skimmed the description. I was mostly wanting to look at the code as
I'm interested in trying to get a better grasp how data is passed
between threads when using JACK. I find the code somewhat difficult to
follow.

Thanks,
James