[LAD] Hello World in LV2

Emanuel Rumpf xbran at web.de
Wed Jul 6 19:19:39 UTC 2011

2011/7/6 David Robillard <d at drobilla.net>:

> For users, there are tarballs of all released extensions,  ...
> Tarballs are released, and announcements are made.  What is the problem?

The problem is: tarballs is plural.

For LV2 you have to download x tars, compile, install and
when you're finally done, your new LV2-plugin still doesn't compile,
cause it would have needed an experimental extension...
my experience so far. Ah right. I should wait for the final release ;)

>> A second tarball, including all currently known LV2 plugins.
>> This could be called  >>Official-LV2-plugin-pack_2011-08-01.tar.bz2<<
>> and could be updated regularly.
>
> I don't think it's appropriate or wise to create any such "official"
> thing.  Plugins are written by diverse authors in diverse languages with
> diverse build systems.
>
> ....  Centralization is not a win.

I thinks it can be. I'm not talking about centralizing different projects, but
*final* distribution centralization, a kind of central mirror for
spread projects.

Take ladspa as an example:
There are X websites with ladspa-packages, containing diverse plugins.
Now every maintainer (and interested user) has to track those sites,
downloading from X locations...
My thought: If there was a central collecting point, most maintainers
could simply download
one tar and make the content ready for their distro.
Plugin creators would also benefit: They simply would have to send
their current sources to the collecting point, knowing it
soon became public and spread.

> I think actively maintaining, hosting, distributing, and guiding the
> development of *extensions* is a job that lv2plug.in should ... do ..

So maybe my request should have gone to that address.

> Don't assume that developers actually *want* everything to be
> accessible ;)  I assure you several developers are actively working to
> design, solidify, implement, and release new extensions that will
> provide us with new advanced plugin capabilities as quickly as possible.

Pleased to hear that :)

--
E.R.