[LAD] Hello World in LV2

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Thu Jul 7 02:35:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 21:19 +0200, Emanuel Rumpf wrote:
> 2011/7/6 David Robillard <d at drobilla.net>:
[...]
> >> A second tarball, including all currently known LV2 plugins.
> >> This could be called  >>Official-LV2-plugin-pack_2011-08-01.tar.bz2<<
> >> and could be updated regularly.
> >
> > I don't think it's appropriate or wise to create any such "official"
> > thing.  Plugins are written by diverse authors in diverse languages with
> > diverse build systems.
> >
> > ....  Centralization is not a win.
> >

> I thinks it can be. I'm not talking about centralizing different projects, but
> *final* distribution centralization, a kind of central mirror for
> spread projects.
>
> Take ladspa as an example:
> There are X websites with ladspa-packages, containing diverse plugins.
> Now every maintainer (and interested user) has to track those sites,
> downloading from X locations...
> My thought: If there was a central collecting point, most maintainers
> could simply download
> one tar and make the content ready for their distro.
> Plugin creators would also benefit: They simply would have to send
> their current sources to the collecting point, knowing it
> soon became public and spread.

Well, if you have the ability to actually manually do so yourself, then
you have the ability to make a bundle that does it.  The build systems
certainly won't actually integrate, so you can't really do much better
than a basic bash script or makefile that does precisely what you would
do manually in the terminal anyway.  You could also just make the script
wget the tarballs as well.  None of this is difficult, it just requires
someone who actually cares to create and maintain it.  Feel free to do
so.

That said, I certainly wouldn't spend time doing it.  The usual release
and distribution packaging cycle that everything else uses works just
fine, and I see no reason why this is a special case.  When it comes to
releasing software: Weird Is Bad(TM).

-dr