[LAD] [LAU] cancelling I/O with libsndfile

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Jul 7 14:00:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Dan Muresan <danmbox at gmail.com> wrote:

  [ ... ]

Dan - I'm really confused by what you're getting at, or trying to get
to. It seems as though you think there is a difference in the
throughput when you read from a filesystem using st_blksize or some
other size close to it, and that you either have or could measure it.
Erik is saying that he doesn't believe that you could measure the
difference.

The only empirical data I have comes from years ago (maybe 8-9 years
ago) when I measured this with ext2 and possibly 2 other linux
filesystems, and found that the best throughput was obtained using
values very, very far removed from st_blksize. This is why ardour
tries to write in chunks of 256kB, although in truth it would be
better if we measured this again on ext3 and newer FS's, and if
possible provided a run-time measurement.