[LAD] AlsaModularSynth and LV2

Aurélien Leblond blablack at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 21:55:35 UTC 2011

Hi everyone!

I have been using AlsaModularSynth for the past several years and I just
love the sound of its internal modules... But AlsaModularSynth is a bit old
looking, and it doesn't support LV2...

On the other hand, Ingen looks brilliant, but I have never been able to
recreate what I was able to do with AMS... I always had some weird issues to
set a simple VCO/VCA/VCF setup...

I see two solutions to that problem :
- integrate LV2 to AMS...
- extract the AMS internal modules and create LV2 plugins from them...

>From the quick study I have done of the AMS source code, that second
solution seems "quite simple" (as quite simple can be!), but I have few
questions before I start on this quest :
- first of all, would porting the AMS modules to LV2 change the sound?
- is it actually possible to do it? Or did I miss something?
- what is the future of Ingen? Altough it has be around for a while, it is
never available in official repositories of Ubuntu for example... Is Ingen
more meant to be testing LV2 plugins or can it be uses as a proper modular
synth? I believe only Ingen and AMS have this modular way of creating
synthesis?
- hmm, anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Aurélien