[LAD] Synth/Sampler why the distinction?

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Fri Jun 10 10:15:07 UTC 2011

Excerpts from James Morris's message of 2011-06-10 04:26:58 +0200:
> On 10 June 2011 02:52, Devin Anderson <devin at charityfinders.com> wrote:
>
> > other plugins in an app like Ingen, allowing your sampler to be passed
> > through as many filters, effects, etc. as there are plugins supported
> > by whatever LV2 host is being used.
>
> I've never figured out where to start with Ingen... My concept of a
> modular synth was based on the old ms20+ms50, with some turtlebeach
> wavefront software thrown in for good measure (which formed the basis
> for  wav composer not toilet, and now petri-foo). I've never figured
> out how to get from this to the strangeness that Ingen and AMS (and
> you can include PD etc in this too) use. To me at least, it's all too
> abstracted, a bit too stripped down and taken apart - or there could
> just be something quite simple I'm missing - I haven't had the time to
> investigate these complex things further.
>
> James.

I know what you mean, modularity is powerful, but it comes at a cost,
especially in the user interface area. This includes for me that it's
often hard to figure out what a module does and how to use it, simply
how it all fits together to make a working thing. I personally found
buzz/aldrin/neil a bit better in that respect.

Philipp