[LAD] Determining Phase

Duncan Gray duncang at catraeus.com
Mon Jun 27 00:50:18 UTC 2011

On the subject of the word Quadrature:

The word Quadrature is shorthand for the imaginary component of a
complex-valued variable. Furthermore, it is almost exclusively used in
the domain of carrier modulated waveforms. The word for the real
component is In-Phase. That is why so many texts on the subject use I
and Q to describe these two concepts. This choice of words was due to
the fact that some radiomen in the '20s created a 90-degree delayed
signal from the carrier (a quatrature relationship with respect to the
carrier in the ancient college trigonometry literature) and (I doubt
ignorantly) left out the fact that it was simply a practical way to
perform complex analysis on a narrow-band waveform.

@Gene:
It was unfortunate that you used the mathematically reserved word
complex to describe a complicated signal. The concept of quadrature in
an audio baseband signal assumes a single frequency, say 1000 Hz.,
wherein that arbitrarily chosen "carrier" is assumed for Quadrature
analysis. In fact, the Fourier Transform assumes an infinite number of
such carriers to create a continuous, complex-valued transform of the
pure real audio channel. The FFT is a Discrete Fourier Transform that
periodizes the waveform to create a finite number of discrete carriers,
each at the bin related to the length of the transform. Each bin of
frequency output by that transform has a real and an imaginary component
-- Quadrature.

@Gordon, please remember that your SDAR code ASSUMES the carrier
frequency so as to be able to analyze Quadrature. It is a more
complicated concept in general complex analysis of a broadband signal
such as audio.

Duncan
-- In the limit as productivity approaches infinity all jobs become
entertainment or neurosis.