[LAD] wiki page: dead projects

Renato rennabh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 08:25:29 UTC 2011

Hello, I created this wiki page

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/all/dead_projects

which stems from a thread I had started about a year ago here on LAD, asking for people to tell what software they found very valuable
but no longer maintained.

I have no prior experience with the wiki so I probably have made some
mistakes, first of all for example I'm not sure if the page is placed
in the right place. Would someone with more experience kindly point out
or even better correct these mistakes?

Also, maybe a distinction should be made: for example, while jack-rack
AFAIK doesn't have a dev periodically maintaining it, I think no one
would call it "dead", since it is quite usable and used; I'm pretty
sure that if in the future it wouldn't compile anymore due for example
to some gtk libraries not backwards compatible, someone would pretty
fast come up with a patch. So, does it belong to the list? Or should we
just change the name to "abandoned projects", and thus even examples
like jack-rack would fit in?

As of now there are two problems with the content of the page:
1) Tau physical modelling is a software that was mentioned in the said
LAD thread, but I couldn't find it anywhere online. links anyone?
2) Softwerk by Paul Davis was mentioned, but then Paul chimed in and
said he had just committed to svn, however I couldn't find the svn
address... So, Paul, could you kindly provide us the svn address, to
add maybe here
http://apps.linuxaudio.org/apps/all/softwerk
or if you're no longer working on it, could we add it to the list?

Ideally this page would be a place where developers in search for a
nice project would go, so I would find it good to link to it in some
places, but I'm not sure where... probably here

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/development

would be a good idea, but I wasn't able to edit the page. Then maybe
even some place more upfront like here?:

http://www.linuxaudio.org/resources

cheers
renato