[LAD] wiki page: dead projects

Robin Gareus robin at linuxaudio.org
Wed Jun 29 10:10:51 UTC 2011

On 06/29/2011 10:25 AM, Renato wrote:
> Hello, I created this wiki page
>
> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/all/dead_projects
>
> which stems from a thread I had started about a year ago here on LAD, asking for people to tell what software they found very valuable
> but no longer maintained.
>
> I have no prior experience with the wiki so I probably have made some
> mistakes, first of all for example I'm not sure if the page is placed
> in the right place. Would someone with more experience kindly point out
> or even better correct these mistakes?

I've started doing that. But I'm short on time these days. I May not get
around to attend to this before the week after next.

The generic way to do this it to simply add the tag "unmaintained" to
each project, then they'll automatically end up at

  http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/unmaintained

Just add {{OTHER TAGS unmaintained}} to the page of the app e.g.
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/all/rezound

> Also, maybe a distinction should be made: for example, while jack-rack
> AFAIK doesn't have a dev periodically maintaining it, I think no one
> would call it "dead", since it is quite usable and used;

That's why we call it "unmaintained" :)

> I'm pretty
> sure that if in the future it wouldn't compile anymore due for example
> to some gtk libraries not backwards compatible, someone would pretty
> fast come up with a patch. So, does it belong to the list? Or should we
> just change the name to "abandoned projects", and thus even examples
> like jack-rack would fit in?

For non-generic info, create a wiki page.  f.i.
   http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/projects_that_need_loving
link to the app in question (e.g. [[:apps:all:rezound]]) - and add
detailed info there.

The :apps:all:* name-space at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/all/*
should only contain applications and no custom-pages.

> As of now there are two problems with the content of the page:
> 1) Tau physical modelling is a software that was mentioned in the said
> LAD thread, but I couldn't find it anywhere online. links anyone?
> 2) Softwerk by Paul Davis was mentioned, but then Paul chimed in and
> said he had just committed to svn, however I couldn't find the svn
> address... So, Paul, could you kindly provide us the svn address, to
> add maybe here
> http://apps.linuxaudio.org/apps/all/softwerk
> or if you're no longer working on it, could we add it to the list?
>
> Ideally this page would be a place where developers in search for a
> nice project would go, so I would find it good to link to it in some
> places, but I'm not sure where... probably here
>
> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/development

The "development" tag is intended for libraries - handy for developers.

I'm in touch with Emanuel Rumpf off-list to update the wiki, re-style it
and clean out the tag mess.. it's on the top of my ToDo list for
July/August.

> would be a good idea, but I wasn't able to edit the page. Then maybe
> even some place more upfront like here?:
>
> http://www.linuxaudio.org/resources
>
> cheers
> renato

Thanks for your contribution,