[LAD] Communicating between python UI and C++ engine for real time audio?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Nov 2 17:25:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists at gmail.com> wrote:
> - realtime low latency engine in C++ using per sample callback audio (
> either RTAudio or Jack or PortAudio )

this conflicts with this:

> Basically I want to be able to do the gui and data transforming code in
> Python whenever possible and allow plugins to be written to work on the data
> in Python

the GUI is one thing; transforming data *in general* with python isn't
going to fit into a low latency engine.

now, of course, if you mean "performing edits to high level data
structures", which you might, then there isn't really a problem
(though you'll likely want to get into RCU to manage things). but if
you are talking about DSP processing with python plugins, i *doubt*
that it will work reliably.