[LAD] Communicating between python UI and C++ engine for real time audio?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Nov 2 20:42:16 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 02 November 2011 18:09:34 Iain Duncan wrote:
> I looked into this about five years ago, but didn't get too far. Wondering
> if anyone on here has experience splitting apps up into:
>
> - realtime low latency engine in C++ using per sample callback audio (
> either RTAudio or Jack or PortAudio )
>
> - user interfaces and algo composition routines in python that either
> communicate with the engine by shared memory or over a queue

If the python stuff is only for the gui and non-realtime stuff, this is a very
practical approach. There are quite a few people doing that. I believe Fons'
session managment and assorted apps are running that way (altough he doesn't
seem to release them). Some of my prototype apps for the next-generation
JackMix are built that way. And I would have done this for my university-job
project had I learned python earlier.

Doing applications in python with the sound-stuff happening in a separate C-
compiled thread) gives that advantage that you can implement the apps as
modules and run them either stand-alone or within a bigger controlling app.

Have fun,

Arnold