[LAD] RAUL?

Tristan Matthews le.businessman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 07:15:33 UTC 2011

2011/11/16 Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com>:
> Hey guys!
> I'd like to chime in here.
> No disrespect meant to anyone and to anyone's work, but the phrase along the
> lines of "there are a lot of people around who think it's perfectly ok to
> make money by using work of others without paying them" seems to be missing
> the point of GPL. The way I see it, the phrase instead should be something
> like: "there are a lot of people who want to take code, created with respect
> to other people's freedom, and turn it into proprietary." Money is
> irrelevant in this regard.

Thanks for pointing that out. My earlier comment was just to highlight
that when you ask authors to relicense their code from GPL to LGPL,
the main thing you're asking is not, "Can I make money off of
something you made?", but rather, "Can I potentially link something
you've made against something non-(L)GPL?" These are separate issues.
In any case, I certainly didn't mean to sound like I was advocating
the Blender rebranding scam ;)

Best,
Tristan