[LAD] RAUL?

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 06:15:31 UTC 2011

Hey guys!
I'd like to chime in here.
No disrespect meant to anyone and to anyone's work, but the phrase along
the lines of "there are a lot of people around who think it's perfectly ok
to make money by using work of others without paying them" seems to be
missing the point of GPL. The way I see it, the phrase instead should be
something like: "there are a lot of people who want to take code, created
with respect to other people's freedom, and turn it into proprietary."
Money is irrelevant in this regard.

Not for the goal of being controversial, I would also like to add that I do
think it is okay to make money by using work of others without paying them
as long as the work is released to the public and not offered to you as
work for hire.
This is why I see any licenses that limit distribution and usage of
creative work as undesirable and unfounded. Even things like GPL and CC
seem to me like just lesser evil, as it still assumes that the author of
the work can be considered an owner of his ideas and thus assumes that
ideas can be property. This raises many-many problems, one of which is
giving the author too much power over society.

--
Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.ru/