[LAD] sliders/fans

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Thu Nov 24 22:17:12 UTC 2011

Excerpts from hermann's message of 2011-11-24 21:31:22 +0100:
> Am Donnerstag, den 24.11.2011, 14:21 -0500 schrieb David Robillard:
> > Middle click to "go here" is a convention from scroll bars dating back
> > to the dawn of X11.  Using something easily done accidentally (and
> > unknowingly) for learn doesn't seem like the best idea to me.
> >
> > That said, some laptops don't have middle buttons...
>
> I think most modern apps use middle mouse button today for midi
> connection. Laptops witch didn't have a middle mouse button often even
> didn't have a midi in connection so there is nothing to loose.
> And, for that case one can provide a midi table to choose connections
> from.

Plug in an external interface (like basically everyone does) and it has
a midi connection. Also, jack doesn't need a midi hardware device to be
useful.

> A click to "go here", seems on the other hand like a bad Idea for me.
>
> Most time you have a underling adjustment witch have a much wider range
> then the screen counterpart (the controller) represent so that it is
> impossible to click on a point and get the wonted value.

I'd worry about left/right buttons first, find agreement on basic stuff,
worry about the leftovers later.

> But overall, a agreement about the different use cases of controller
> keys will be very fine and useful for the Linux Audio World.

Yes, I'm also very much pro a convention. I don't see any real solution
to the problem that different human interface guidelines create in
general, and it's a real mess on linux or when you want to go cross
platform, but a convention for Linux Audio sure wouldn't hurt.