[LAD] Floating point Denormals: C++ and Waf

Harry van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 12:06:47 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I've working on a LV2 instrument plugin, and it consumes about 1-2% CPU on
idle. When I leave it for about 20 seconds, the CPU usage jumps to 38 / 40
% of a core, and JACK xruns. The code contains IIR's for a reverb effect,
so I'm going to blame this CPU burning on denormal values.

I'm using waf as the build system, and appending "-O3" and "-ffast-math" to
the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. Building with ./waf -v shows the runner thread to
have the "-O3" and "-ffast-math" in the command.
Yet when I run it it still hogs CPU after about 10-20 seconds.

Reading on gcc's pages (http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~charngda/cc.html) tells
me that if DenomalsAreZero and FlushToZero are set, it should be linked
with crtfastmath.o. I don't know how to check if this is happening?

I'm not sure where to look next to fix the problem. Help appreciated!
-Harry