[LAD] Kontakt sampler format (and others like EXS24)

Harry van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 17:12:21 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>wrote:

> A lot of people (even on this list) don't understand the extent to which
> *supporting* a piece of software is often a far bigger cost than the
> initial development, and providing support for a platform with very few
> users is an issue for companies who want their customer service reputation
> to be very good (as NI does). It doesn't work for companies like this to
> just release something "into the wild" and forget about it.

That's a fair point. And also one I'm not in a place to make : I'm not
currently doing any software support.

Still I do feel that if there could be "an interaction" whereby the linux
audio community gets enough info to use Kontact samples natively in JACK
that would be awesome.

With risk of talking about what I'm not an expert in: I could see some kind
of binary .so distributed by NI that houses the Kontact internals, with a
header file describing how to use it. If this could be adapted into the
shape of a LinuxSampler engine, then win-win right?

-NI don't have to do support: the only "customer" for thier .so is a
developer, so support isn't even the right word.
-LinuxSampler is an established project: why repeat all that has already
been done?
-Kontact usage goes up (strengthens brand name.. etc etc) and I'll buy
samples from NI.

Again intrested on views... also from the Linux sampler guys if such an
endeavor would even be possible given that the politics work out.
-Harry