[LAD] building the new Guitarix LV2 Amp

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Thu Dec 13 06:35:21 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 07:08 +0100, hermann meyer wrote:
> Am 13.12.2012 04:15, schrieb David Robillard:
> >> A static library is just a pile of object files. Of course you can
> >> build a shared object against them. The problem is just that the
> >> objects in this particular static library were built without PIC.
> > Well, yes, "pedantically" was not quite the right word.  It is more of a
> > sweeping generalization.
> >
> > If you're building them yourself, ensure they're PIC, and it will work,
> > but it's reasonable to expect static libraries from elsewhere to be
> > non-PIC, particularly things that aim to be small since PIC code is
> > larger.
> >
> So if I add -fPIC to the static lib build flags for libgxw/mm, it will
> work on 64bit also?
> Right now I prefer the static build, as long no other application or
> plug use it.

Yes, you should be able to link a shared library to a static library
compiled as PIC even on 64-bit.  Hence the "recompile with -fPIC"
message from the linker :)

Probably fine if it's part of the same build process, maybe not so much
if it's from another package.  If it is, on Lignux at least, plugins
depending on shared libraries isn't really a big deal anyway.

-dr