[LAD] Writing a music notation editor and need some help with MIDI, Jack, and FluidSynth

M Donalies ingeniousnebbish at cox.net
Fri Dec 21 17:14:36 UTC 2012

I'm using Qt and C++ under Linux with ALSA. Ideally, what I'd like is a simple
example like alsa's midiseq.c or a MIDI metronome hooked up to jack so that it
outputs to fluidsynth. Then I could see the whole system in action. Is there
such an example available? I'm having some trouble understanding how all the
pieces fit together.

I have a few other questions that aren't directly related:
The first has to do with manipulating midi ctlr events to simulate various
musical techniques like legato and palm muting. What I've tried so far doesn't
sound very good. I need legato in polyphonic mode, so just overlapping notes
doesn't work. Sending a legato ctlr message doesn't seem to do anything. I'm
not looking for anything real fancy, just something to make trills & slurs
sound reasonable. I think all I want to do is to skip the attack portion of
the sample. For palm muting, I've shortened the note duration, but I'd like to
darken or thicken the timbre. Is there any simple way to do this?

Second, I've lifted a lot of glyphs from the Lilypond font and placed them in
my own font and I was wondering how and where to credit creators of these
glyphs. I've added glyphs of my own (bends, vibrato, etc.) and doctored some
others, but many are just cut, pasted, & resized from Lilypond. Before I
release any code, I'd like to get the credits properly documented.

Thanks, all.

--
7:8