[LAD] Non Session Management

thijs van severen thijsvanseveren at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 11:59:21 UTC 2012

2012/3/22 rosea.grammostola <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> I wonder what the LAD community thinks about Non Session Manager
>
> http://non.tuxfamily.org/nsm/**API.html<http://non.tuxfamily.org/nsm/API.html>
> http://non.tuxfamily.org/nsm
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?**v=ui-gC_ZMeGM<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui-gC_ZMeGM>
> http://youtu.be/xzspJXbEoc0
>
> From a user POV I must say that it works very smooth at first sight. It's
> easy to use and one of the strong points seems to be the flexibility, e.g.
> the ability to copy and change existing sessions, run multiple sessions
> (also via network). But I cannot comment on the technical goods and bads of
> the API and how easy it will be to implement this in a Jackaudio
> application. It seems to use OSC messages and depends only on liblo.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> \r

MHO: having a good universal session manager would be a dream come true,
but so far i have not been able to find one that does what i would like it
to do :
- start a couple of apps
- wire them together
- add some more apps
- save everything
- done

for me it is rather annoying that i have to predefine a session (as is the
case with most session managers).
i just would like to open apps, use them, connect them, without having to
think about 'the session', let alone 'predefine' it
jacksession offers some of this, but not all apps support jacksession
non session manager has some interesting features too (like
over-the-network sessions)
the LV2 approach (plugins) is rather appealing since everything can be kept
together by the host app, but not all apps have LV2 variants
i know that there are some LV2 wrapper projects, and i wonder if it is
possible to use these for 'any' app, or does that just move the problem to
the communication between the wrapper and the app?

just some ideas

Grtz
Thijs