[LAD] Non Session Management

Emanuel Rumpf xbran at web.de
Wed Mar 28 12:24:23 UTC 2012

Am 28. März 2012 05:46 schrieb David Robillard <d at drobilla.net>:
> On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 03:27 +0200, Emanuel Rumpf wrote:
>> This allowed the SM to:
>>
>> - tell the user if a certain file is part of any session registered at the SM
>
> Why would the user care?

(Lets assume I haven't use a certain machine for half a year...)
For many reasons:

- deleting - I would like to know, if I'm allowed to delete a certain file, thus
it's important to know if it is still used by any session

- destruction - I'm planning to use a destructive application an a file
and would like to know, if this file is used by any session, where
this modification would cause trouble

- duplication and release - one may intend to export all files (maybe
of a certain type) for a certain session and send them to a friend.

- freeing disk space - I would like to remove all files not used (anymore) by
any session (or by a _certain_ session). how else would I know ?

--
E.R.