[LAD] Non Session Management

thijs van severen thijsvanseveren at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 13:35:26 UTC 2012

2012/3/28 Emanuel Rumpf <xbran at web.de>

> Am 28. März 2012 05:46 schrieb David Robillard <d at drobilla.net>:
> > On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 03:27 +0200, Emanuel Rumpf wrote:
> >> This allowed the SM to:
> >>
> >> - tell the user if a certain file is part of any session registered at
> the SM
> >
> > Why would the user care?
> >

> (Lets assume I haven't use a certain machine for half a year...)
> For many reasons:
>
> - deleting - I would like to know, if I'm allowed to delete a certain
> file, thus
> it's important to know if it is still used by any session
>
> - destruction - I'm planning to use a destructive application an a file
> and would like to know, if this file is used by any session, where
> this modification would cause trouble
>
> - duplication and release - one may intend to export all files (maybe
> of a certain type) for a certain session and send them to a friend.
>
> - freeing disk space - I would like to remove all files not used (anymore)
> by
> any session (or by a _certain_ session). how else would I know ?

this all sounds really interesting, but IMHO these are all extras (that can
introduce a lot of extra complications)
if i can tell the SM where the session needs to be stored that's enough for
me. i really dont care how the underlying files/dirs are organised
all i care about is that i can save/restore a session.
and if this comes at the price of HD space, so be it

if i know where the sessions are stored it's easy enough to archive the
complete dir and move it to a fileserver

thijs

follow me on my Audio & Linux blog <http://audio-and-linux.blogspot.com/> !