[LAD] Non Session Management

Renato rennabh at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 16:31:52 UTC 2012

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:35:26 +0200
thijs van severen <thijsvanseveren at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/3/28 Emanuel Rumpf <xbran at web.de>

> > the SM
> > >
> > > Why would the user care?
> > >

> > (Lets assume I haven't use a certain machine for half a year...)
> > For many reasons:
> >
> > - deleting - I would like to know, if I'm allowed to delete a
> > certain file, thus
> > it's important to know if it is still used by any session
> >
> > - destruction - I'm planning to use a destructive application an a
> > file and would like to know, if this file is used by any session,
> > where this modification would cause trouble
> >
> > - duplication and release - one may intend to export all files
> > (maybe of a certain type) for a certain session and send them to a
> > friend.
> >
> > - freeing disk space - I would like to remove all files not used
> > (anymore) by
> > any session (or by a _certain_ session). how else would I know ?
> >

> this all sounds really interesting, but IMHO these are all extras
> (that can introduce a lot of extra complications)
> if i can tell the SM where the session needs to be stored that's
> enough for me. i really dont care how the underlying files/dirs are
> organised all i care about is that i can save/restore a session.
> and if this comes at the price of HD space, so be it
>
> if i know where the sessions are stored it's easy enough to archive
> the complete dir and move it to a fileserver

if I may add my voice, from a very practical user point of view,
I agree with thijs. The functionality Emanuel is proposing does sound
very interesting, and it *would* be very nice to have, but if I had
limited time to code (which I think is something to seriously take into
account on open source projects) I would maybe reserve these things for
future versions, focusing now on the more basic stuff. I.e. I would
gladly give up some disk space, at least for the present, to have a
solid, functional and wide adopted session manager (like Non seems to
be, except for the last requirement).

Of course those having recordings of several gigabytes won't agree with
me, but again this is just my personal opinion.

cheers,
renato