[LAD] Non Session Management

rosea.grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 09:46:25 UTC 2012

On 03/29/2012 12:29 PM, thijs van severen wrote:

> 2012/3/29 Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com
> <mailto:louigi.verona at gmail.com>>
>
>     my 2 cents from user perspective: I know where I save my files, I know
>     where my sample collections are. i know that if i delete my sample
>     collection, sessions won't load. i don't need any program to tell me
>     that.
>
>     in fact, in using FL Studio or Cubase or LMMS you have the same
>     situation. a project can use same files as another project and if you
>     damage those files - well, sorry.
>
>     I do not see any reason for complications in session manager design. i
>     agree with david, all of this is unnecessary and only will make NSM a
>     session manager developers would be reluctant to adopt.
>
>     louigi verona.
>
>     On 3/29/12, rosea.grammostola <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
>     <mailto:rosea.grammostola at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > On 03/24/2012 11:09 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>      >
>      >>
>      >> 3. Clearly defining the way an app should behave w.r.t. its
>      >>     File menu entries (when managed). This is quite intrusive
>      >>     to existing clients, but it is IMHO absolutley essential.
>      >>     Kudos to the designer(s) for the having the courage to do
>      >>     this instead of allowing application developers to take
>      >>     the 'least effort' way (which would of course be better
>      >>     marketing, but invite later misery).
>      >
>      > How easy or how difficult is it compared to JackSession for
>     example, to
>      > add NSM support to an application?
>      >
>      > Is it possible to have NSM and JackSession support in one
>     application?
>      >
>      > Regards,
>      >
>      > \r
>

> wasnt there a link somewhere in this mail thread about a comparison of
> all the pros and cons of 'all' SM's ?
> i went trough the thread but could not find it  :-(
> ah well, maybe i'm just dreaming
> would be nice though, such a comparison matrix

Iirc it was just an idea to do make that. It doesn't exist yet.

An overview would be good imo. It would be even better if such a matrix
could help in making a decision for the best SM API to support, at the
moment. As a user who wants to use session API X, I don't have much
benefits if applications supports session API Y. Unless I decide to use
Ladish, personally that wouldn't be my choice though.

\r