[LAD] HDSP 9652 and Behringer ADA8000

Adrian Knoth adi at drcomp.erfurt.thur.de
Thu Mar 29 12:27:42 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:42:03PM +0200, Giso Grimm wrote:

> Recently I made a recording (lute & singing), partly with ADA8000,
> partly with RME Micstasy, both with the same Neumann mics, and I could
> barely hear the difference...

Which is hardly suprising. ;) I've found the following quote on the
internet:

--- cut here ---
Yes, ADA8000 is based on Alesis (now WaveFront Semiconductors) A/D
(AL1101), D/A (AL1201), an ADAT encoder (OptoGen AL1401) and an ADAT
receiver (OptoRec AL1402).

The ADA8000 is a copy of the RME AEB8-I (I had the scheme for it if you
want), and the scheme is simply an expansion to 8 channels (instead of
2) of the appnote given by Alesis for OptoGen and OptoRec.
--- and here again ---

I've already posted the following blind test:

   http://adi.loris.tv/converters/

One device is Lynx Aurora 16, the other one is Behringer ADA-8000.
No information was given whether A=Aurora and B=Behringer or vice versa,
and audio engineers were asked to judge.

They failed, the outcome was equally distributed, so it's fair to say
that not even trained ears were able to to hear a difference.

Neither can I.

Cheers

PS: The orig file was played from the DAW and re-recorded, thus
involving both - DACs and ADCs.

--
mail: adi at thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP/GPG: key via keyserver