[LAD] [ANN] Radium V1.9.1

Florian Paul Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Mon Nov 12 07:30:45 UTC 2012

On 11/11/2012 05:02 PM, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:

> Great to hear! It would also be great if you let me know of features
> you miss from Renoise in Radium.

OK, since you asked: :D some of these might also be the result of me
misunderstanding radium..

-  I really dig the ability to have a graph of nodes for audio
processing. But an often needed use case is just a linear chain of
effects which in radium involves lots of clicking and shifting nodes
around to keep the graph in an orderly state. In renoise you have a
linear DSP chain per track.

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Track_DSPs

This is really useful and allows for quick exploring of sounds. In an
ideal world we could have the cake and eat it, too. I.e. have a full
graph for complex situations and a per Instrument linear effects chain
which facilitates easy adding/removing/reordering of effects..

- Renoise also has the notion of Meta Devices of which some
functionality can be replaced by having a full graph of nodes, but again
it's just very usable to just throw an LFO device into the effects chain
which modulates some effect parameter..

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Meta_Devices

- Renoise also has this nice edit step feature which I haven't found in
radium yet. Press, for example, Ctrl-4, and after you enter a note the
cursor jumps to the 4th line below it. This allows for super easy
filling e.g. a Bassdrum/Hihat pattern. Go to the first line of the
pattern on the Bass drum track and just hold Y (C note) and it fills the
pattern. Then go to line 3 on the Hihat track and hold down Y to fill
hihats on the off beats..

- On my laptop screen estate is precious. While I like the ability to
use F7, F8, F9, F10 to toggle the different sections of the GUI I'd
really prefer to have these shortcuts to show the section exclusively. E.g.

F7, F8, F9. F10 - switch to the respective Part of the GUI and show it
only. Pressing it again will toggle back to showing the selection of
views as by the point below...

Shift + F7, F8, ... - Toggle the respective part of the GUI

- It would be nice to have tooltips over each element of the GUI. What
are these sliders at the top of each track, etc? How do the lanes right
of the note lanes work? It would make the GUI more discoverable

- Sometimes focus is in e.g. the sample selection dialog of a sample
player and it's not really obvious how to get focus back to the note
track. Or at least I was sitting here confused for a bit. Maybe allowing
explicit clicking to control focus would meet some people's expectations
more?

- It would be super nice if one could double click a slider in an
Effect/Instrument control to enter a value per Text. This way one could
e.g. enter 750 precisely for a delay time.

And finally I also have another question:

Whenever I enter a note in a block playback stops. Is that intended? Is
there a way to keep playback going while editing a block?

Thanks and Regards,
Flo