[LAD] [LAU] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Oct 10 21:00:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, October 11, 2012 7:25 am, Louigi Verona wrote:
> @Patrick:
>
> "The problem with that approach is that it tends to feed the negative
> attitude towards Linux and that is exactly what the "competition" want."
>
> There is no competition, Patrick. Windows Audio does not compete with
> Linux Audio. Only if in our minds. And thus they do not want anything.

There are plenty of competitors to Linux Audio as a platform. AVID is the
most obvious competitor.

> There is no Windows Audio community, there is a Linux Audio community.
> We try to compete with them. They do not compete with us.

Look at things from a professional business point of view and try again
please. I'm not talking about Linux Multimedia for amateur users or even
necessarily for artists/producers. I'm talking about businesses that use
Linux as their revenue generating platform.

> Also, talking positive will not solve things. I see little value in
> promoting Linux Audio,
> for instance, for my electronic musician friends - I have to honestly tell
> them that
> making the kind of music they do is not easy on Linux.

What kind of music do they make that is so difficult to do on Linux?

Don't you mean that because "insert favorite application/plugin" is not
ported they will have to learn how to do something differently and that is
too much to ask?

If that is the case then they are probably not a good fit for a Linux
desktop experience but I wonder how they managed to get anything done in
the first place if they are averse to learning.

>I like it and I am
> doing it,
> but I would not advertise Linux Audio as comparable to Windows Audio since
> it is
> simply not true.

And it's a good thing too.

--