[LAD] Kontakt sampler format (and others like EXS24)

John Rigg ladev at jrigg.co.uk
Sat Sep 1 16:08:11 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 03:39:27PM +0200, Emanuel Rumpf wrote:
> 2012/8/31 John Rigg:
> > Thanks for taking the initiative on this.
>
> > The lack of high quality samples usable on a Linux system has been quite a problem.
> >

> What, more closely, is a "high quality" sample (today) ?
>
> Is it very different, from what it was ten years ago ?
> If yes, why did it fit  formerly, but not today ?
> Have our ears eventually improved  within that time-period ?

What has changed is production budgets. Ten years ago there was more
money available for hiring real musicians along with places to record
them in and technical personnel to do it. If you're recording soundtracks
for TV or film you need samples that are good enough to replace the
real thing unless you're lucky enough to be working on the biggest
productions.

John