[LAD] [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Tue Feb 5 15:37:39 UTC 2013

On 02/05/2013 10:29 AM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hey Dave,
>
> let me give you my opinion.

Hi Louigi, I was waiting for your input. :)

Some short replies:

> Lack of support for contemporary hardware. - probably, although I have
> no data as to how big the problem is

I've found a simple metric. Just open a Sweetwater catalog to the pages
for computer audio interfaces and count the ones with Linux support.

> Confusion re: desktops, and GUI toolkits. - i am confused as to why
> that would be a problem with linux audio

Problem for the developers, not so much for users.

> I would have to comment more on the latter. I don't think it is bad or
> unavoidable to have fragmentation and conflict. This is natural for
> most human interaction. The problem, in my view, is that there are so
> few developers (compared to, say, Windows Audio). And because there
> are so few devs, fragmentation becomes a problem, since each developer
> is then just a one man project with a small audience.

Good point, thank you for the input.

Best,

dp