[LAD] [LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Johannes Kroll jkroll at lavabit.com
Tue Feb 5 16:17:55 UTC 2013

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 18:29:06 +0300
Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> I would have to comment more on the latter. I don't think it is bad or
> unavoidable to have fragmentation and conflict. This is natural for most
> human interaction. The problem, in my view, is that there are so few
> developers (compared to, say, Windows Audio). And because there are so few
> devs, fragmentation becomes a problem, since each developer is then just a
> one man project with a small audience.

That's kind of true. If there were a few thousand more developers, for
example the different session management interfaces wouldn't be a
problem. If you have, say, 3 session management interfaces, and each
app supports one it effectively divides the number of apps you can use
by 3 if you need session mgmt. If there were thousands of developers
and as a result thousands of apps, there would still be a lot of apps
left to choose... But I don't think this will happen any time soon, so
I think it would be better for the existing developers to focus a bit
more on compatibility with other apps. Conclusion: We are few, so we
really need to work together on this ;)