[LAD] Floss alternative to red5

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Thu Feb 28 14:04:44 UTC 2013

On 02/28/2013 12:28 PM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> On Thu, February 28, 2013 8:16 pm, APO33 wrote:
>> Hi Jonathan, Jeremy, Patrick,
>> We are testing a lot webRTC of course! it's seems one of the main
>> amazing AV web developpement because of html5 being such easy and
>> great, should we say futur standard or is it already one?

It's still a draft.

>> Also do you think html5 and the work of access local and display could
>> be implemented without webRTC with getUserMedia(, createObjectURL? and
>> for example only use the audio...

No idea, should be possible I guess.

  I am watching the conference at the
>> moment, mayeb she have the answer?!!
>> I am wondering if we could also combined gstreamer+html5 (or other
>> audio good floss software) on a server...
>
> Yes it is possible t use gstreamer or icecast, shoutcast.
>
>> So for you webRTC is THE solution for AV web based project alternative
>> to red5 and flash?

For me it is. At work we're already using it in pilots with clients
(videocalling) and so far it works better than any Flash-based solution.

> It's the open standard which is being promoted by Google, Apple, Mozilla,
> etc... You can feel confident that it will not be a waste of your time to
> build with it.

Afaik Apple is not involved. Besides, they would want H264 as the
standard videocodec, not VP8.

Jeremy