[LAD] 14-bit CC / (N)RPN midi controllers question

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Jun 6 21:36:50 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Tim E. Real <termtech at rogers.com> wrote:

> Lacking access to the full midi specs document, I don't know
>  if this question is addressed. I've looked at manuals for products
>  which support them and searched the web but I don't see a clear
>  answer to my question:
>
> Is it safe to assume that a product or app which allows
>  binding a *single* HW or GUI control to either 14-bit CC
>  or 14-bit (N)RPN, would *always* send the value LSB, even if
>  the LSB did not change but the MSB did, when the control moves?
>
> Do the midi specs address this?

The specs do not address this. It is an error in the MIDI spec in my
opinion, and I discussed it with someone from the MMA several years ago and
they agreed with me. The spec should have ordered things differently OR
required that LSB and MSB are always sent. They did not. The existing spec
design is easy to implement in dedicated hardware but notably harder in
software run on a general purpose machine because you need to pick some
arbitrary timeout.

Every possible ordering/delivery sequence can be found in one or more
devices.