[LAD] 14-bit CC / (N)RPN midi controllers question

Tim E. Real termtech at rogers.com
Sun Jun 9 17:57:31 UTC 2013

On June 9, 2013 04:57:21 PM Tim Goetze wrote:
> [Paul Davis]
>
> >On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 5:55 AM, Tim Goetze <tim at quitte.de> wrote:
> >> Some MIDI devices do not employ 14-bit CCs or the NRPN mechanism.
> >> Access' Virus for example maps all CCs as single 7-bit values, and a
> >> forced 14-bit mode will break communication.
> >
> >this is absolutely *not* the proposal.
>
> Thanks, that is good to know, and *sorry* about the noise!

No problem.
True, we're not talking about forcing anything, just intelligent
 detection and sending of all controller types.

But this shows one example where, as I say, I believe more input from
 the user is required to properly determine what's coming in -
 "do you want to accept 14-bit CC and (N)RPN controllers at all?".

MusE's definable instrument controllers have always allowed us to
 cover all uses for midi output. (We do have a Virus instrument definition.)
What I have done is added input instruments, so I'm trying to tie all this
 together for intelligent detection of input.
If the user *specifically* defines any of the normally reserved controllers
 (data H/L, (N)RPN H/L) as 7-bit CC, then they will be used that way, and not
 as their normally intended reserved usage as data or (N)RPN numbers.
Also if any 14-bit CCs are specifically defined, then both high and low
 CCs are interpreted together as 14-bit CCs, and *not* passed along as
 normal 7-bit controllers. (Same for program banks.)
Together with the mentioned options ("Do you expect 'Verbose' separate
 MSB/LSB or 'Unified' single controls?", etc.), I hope to cover all uses.

Tim.