[LAD] 14-bit CC / (N)RPN midi controllers question

David Robillard d at drobilla.net
Sun Jun 9 18:11:27 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-06-09 at 11:55 +0200, Tim Goetze wrote:
> [David Robillard]
> >I really think that, in Jack (and LV2), it should just be mandated that
> >these (and all other multi-) events be shipped as one, for the same
> >reason that running status is forbidden: it's annoying and entirely
> >pointless.
>
> Some MIDI devices do not employ 14-bit CCs or the NRPN mechanism.
> Access' Virus for example maps all CCs as single 7-bit values, and a
> forced 14-bit mode will break communication.

Yeah, dumb (i.e. non-standard) use of CC would have to be preserved,
especially to/from hardware.

Within Jackville, it's easy enough to specify: events must be bundled
iff they are actually intended to be a high-res controller.  Otherwise
they, by definition, are not part of one.

Like Tim R. said though, there's probably no magic way to deal with this
for driver input, which is unfortunate[1]

(For output it's a non-issue since they'd be delivered as discrete
events regardless)

-dr

[1] Oh look, another Jack metadata use case...