[LAD] GPL & cc-by-3.0

Nils Gey ich at nilsgey.de
Sat Jun 15 15:47:41 UTC 2013

On Sat Jun 15 17:01:05 2013 hermann meyer <brummer- at web.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Did anyone here know if the GPL+ v2.0 /v3.0 is compatible with the CC-BY
> v3.0 (unported)
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
>
> I only found here
> http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#Creative_Commons_Attribution_Share-Alike_.28CC-BY-SA.29_v3.0
>
> that the CC-BY-SA v3.0 is compatible, but no mention of the CC-BY v3.0
> My understanding is that the CC-BY v3.0 has less restrictions then the
> CC-BY-SA version, but I'm a bit unsure.
>
> Background: I would include some work which is under the CC-BY v3.0 to
> my project, which is under the GPL+ v2.0 (or later). I wouldn't violate
> the DFSG, so I would make sure there is no issue at all when I'm do so.
> The Author of the CC-BY v3.0 files is fine with my wishes.
>
> any hints?
> hermann

you can derive a version of the cc-by work, eveb with no modifications. You just need to give it a different name and credit the original author. Then you can change the license to a compatible one. I suggest cc by sa since this adds GPL compatible copyleft. Changes on your version need to be relicened as ccbysa then while the original ccby version stays untouched.

This is a general principle: a work which is as freely licensed as cc by, public domain or compatible can be relicensed as-is with a more strict one.