[LAD] 4-6 or 8 cores ??

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch
Mon Jun 24 15:47:20 UTC 2013

Le Mon, 24 Jun 2013 15:19:45 +0200,
IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> a écrit :

> his very well matches my personal experience, that since the advent
> of PIII/800MHz i never had any more performance problems in my
> realtime applications.

For me, a multi-cores machine is a must. In one hand, jack1 on a
32 bits single core machine and a rt kernel, give me very little less
latency, than jack2 on a 64 bits 4 cores machine and a "regular" kernel,
with rt enabled via cgroups. Both machines have the maximum amount of
RAM they can handle and are running fvwm-crystal as desktop. On the
other hand, this last machine give me the opportunity to be able to do
whatever I want, as example run a server, have emerge that compile
hugin or libreoffice, and run rt applications, all that at the same
time on the same machine.

To do the same with a single core machine, I must have a double boot
with 2 kernels, a rt one for the audio applications, and a non rt one
for the server and emerge (I don't try it with a cgroup enabled
kernel).

Dominique

--
"We have the heroes we deserve."