[LAD] Muse - Was: OT: Bitwig beta for Linux reviewed

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Mar 9 17:09:58 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-03-09 at 12:28 +0000, John Rigg wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 11:47:52PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > The CPU always was and still is an AMD Athlon 64-bit dual-core BE-2350
> > 2.1 GHz.
> > I'm usually using self-build kernel-rt in the past 2.6.x and today 3.x.
>
> FWIW I've never been able to get an -rt patched kernel to work with
> a dual core CPU without xruns and lockups. I've had better results
> with standard kernels with pre-emption enabled. I don't use MIDI and I
> haven't tried recent -rt patches though, so treat that observation
> accordingly.
>
> I think I'd be more likely to blame things like nVidia graphics drivers
> and non-standard kernels [snip]

I don't blame Linux apps, I suspect that especially the PCIe slot
(chipset, mobo design) is less good. However, regarding to the issues
with Muse, yes, I suspect that it's the application. Ardour 2 and
Qtractor do run on my machine.

At the moment there's no difference between full preempt and preempt rt
kernels on my machine. It also doesn't make a (big) difference, what
graphics and what driver I use. At the moment it's the ATI with the
FLOSS radeon driver. In the past there often were differences when using
different graphic cards and drivers. In the past I needed to use the
kernel-rt, today I also can use the full preempt kernel.

Still maintained and used installs are Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio Quantal
and Precise and at the moment I slowly set up a new Arch Linux, the
other Linux installs are not or seldom used:

$ grep menue /run/media/rocketmouse/q/boot/grub/grub.cfg
menuentry "FreeBSD"{
menuentry 'Ubuntu Quantal,        kernel 3.6.5-rt14' {
menuentry 'Ubuntu Quantal,        kernel 3.5.0-18-lowlatency
threadirqs' {
menuentry 'Ubuntu Quantal,        kernel 3.5.0-18-lowlatency (recovery
mode)' {
menuentry 'Ubuntu Studio Quantal, Kernel 3.6.5-rt14' {
menuentry 'Ubuntu Studio Quantal, Kernel 3.5.0-18-lowlatency
threadirqs' {
menuentry 'Ubuntu Studio Precise, Kernel 3.0.30 threadirqs' {
menuentry 'Ubuntu Studio Precise, Kernel 3.2.0-23-lowlatency
threadirqs' {
menuentry 'AVlinux 5.0.3,         Kernel 3.0.23-rt40' {
menuentry 'AVlinux 5.0.3,         Kernel 3.0.23-avl-7-pae threadirqs' {
menuentry 'Edubuntu 10.10,        Kernel 2.6.33.9-rt31' {
menuentry 'Ubuntu Studio Oz,      Kernel 3.0.0-17-generic' {
menuentry 'Ubuntu Studio Oz,      Kernel 3.0.0-20-generic' {
menuentry 'Arch Linux Rt' {
menuentry 'Arch Linux' {
menuentry 'Arch Linux Fallback' {
menuentry 'openSUSE 11.2,         Kernel 2.6.31.6-rt19' {

The only stable DAW I ever had, was Edubuntu 10.10, I never had a stable
DAW before or after Edubuntu Maverick, unfortunately I can't use the
stable setup with my RME HDSPe AIO, since it wasn't supported that time.
I used Maverick with the TerraTec ICE1712 cards only.

To be continued ...
Ralf